(Mostly) Coffee with Sas

PH | JANIS & SARAS


An animation starring Steve Carell - Despicable Me 3 - is out in theatres and I just had to watch it. Saras and I decided to watch it on a sunny Monday afternoon, with a bag of small popcorn, tiny iced lemon tea and two pieces of bread. After entertaining ourselves with little yellow characters with a passion for bananas, Sas went to find a bowl of udon while I stuff myself with shrimp tempura.

We continued our day by getting ourselves an iced mint coffee and a cup of affogato from Coffeeright. It took us about three cups of coffee on having a very emotional and passionate conversation on how grateful we are for how we were raised and taught (and a little bit of gossip). The coffee was tasty and awakening and the interior of the coffee shop was very minimalistic and quiet, which was nice. The sun started to set, so I stayed at Sas'.

Feeling girly, we pampered ourselves with clay and sheet masks over our faces, while watching Beatles-inspired-musical Across The Universe, and continued with three episodes of Black Mirror until 2 am.

We drove to Pasar Santa and figured it must've open early since it is a market place. But we were wrong. The food court apparently opened from 1 pm and above. As we strolled along dark alleys, we found Glasch Nitrogren Ice Cream stall. Sas and I shared a cup, which consisted of three scopes of ice cream which are Cookies and Cream, Banana and Nutella, and Salted Caramel. Sounds nice, eh? It is. However, the texture it self isn't as creamy as most ice creams are. I'm not sure if that's a bad or a good thing.





Sweet Disposition by The Temper Trap was playing in a reasonable volume as we entered Caribou Coffee at Senopati. We ordered ourselves iced espresso and chai tea latte, and hung out (which means having small talks, taking aesthetically pleasing pictures, and umm... using the rest room). The place was cozy, as it was packed with people on their lunch breaks. The coffee isn't cheap but still affordable, however the food isn't. Sas and I talked about how Sas wanted to make her own coffee place later on, and I just wanted to sell journals and planners.

The stomaches finally demanded for food. Sas wanted Sate Taichan, so we went to Grand Lucky Supermarket and found the Satay Club by the foodcourt. Sas got what she wanted and I got myself a plate of Sate Padang, which was not any better than the ones they sell on the streets.

Going around Jakarta has always been fun, especially when there's the word 'food' and 'culinary' in it. Sas and I had such a great time spending the two weekdays trying coffees and food in different places. So long Starbucks? Maybe.



PS: I just finished reading Haruki Murakami's After Dark and I hate it. Reviewers say it is the least weird novel by Murakami, but I just can't seem to figure out the pieces and how it concludes as a whole. In Sputnik Sweetheart or Norwegian Wood, Murakami tells the how-it-goes after the ending as he led us to decide what happens afterwards. But in After Dark, I don't even know what is happening between the characters. So odd. 

I'm about to read Murakami's A Wild Sheep Chase. I hope this one has a clear-ish ending.

Click here for Saras' blog

Comments